Re: Fuel price perspective

To: "Paul Mitchell" <paul@cynthesys.co.za>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel price perspective
From: "Chris Bohn" <cbohn@sidepipe.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 05:12:32 -0700
On the relative price of gasoline worldwide, I do believe it is mostly all a
matter of taxation.

Europe and much of the world seem to tax gasoline heavily in order to fund
road construction and/or maintenance. Here in the states, we fund those
things with a combination of fuel tax and taxes originating elsewhere. The
level of taxation on gasoline is a factor of politics, too. Keeping pump
prices low seems to be a goal of most politicians who want to stay in
office.

Who pays more for gasoline, the USA or the rest of the world?  The news
programs always seem to temper announcement of high US gas prices with
comparisons to the rest of the world:  "Still so much cheaper here!".  I
think if you factor in all the taxes, both on gasoline and via other
tributaries, it probably all evens out.  Oil has a global market.  Surely
the US pays the world competitive price per barrel for oil, so the price per
gallon of gasoline should be roughly the same worldwide. Any difference
should be attributable to differences in taxation and localized
transportation costs.

I may be completely FOS on this point. Others here know for more than I do
on this subject.

--Chris

"Middle aged guy in an Old Man's car"