RE: TR3A shift knob question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A shift knob question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:54:13 -0700
> I have the short, straight, hollow shift lever on my 1959 TR3A.
> Not sure if
> the lever is original to the car or not.

That's the original lever.

> Which shift knob do I order, the
> TR2-TR3A or TR3B-TR4A?

Those aren't the right change points, so it's a bit hard to say.  Early TR2
had a unique shift lever and knob, which was changed before TS3000 (don't
recall the exact number offhand).  Then all TR3-3B (even with the TR4
all-synchro gearbox) had the same hollow lever, and at least interchangeable
knobs.  The TR4 used a much smaller diameter (at the knob) curved shift
lever(s).

> The reason I'm a bit confused is that a shift knob
> came with the car, that looks like the original TR2-TR3A style and it has
> too small a dia. Hole to thread on to the lever.

There were other Triumphs that used that knob.  Does it have the wrong shift
pattern on the top ?  If so, it might be from a Triumph 10.

Randall