RE: Back-up hood release

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Back-up hood release
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:21:01 -0700
> My TR4 still has an 'emergency cable' that had been rather
> sloppily installed before I bought the car, but I personally think it's
> a very slight risk IF you ensure your cable is in good condition.

Just as a counter-point, my Stag was my first experience with cable-operated
hood latches on Triumphs.  It seemed rather stiff when I got the car, but
it's a direct-pull design while my other cars have had levers ... I thought
perhaps it was normal.  The cable appeared to be in good shape and the latch
under the hood looked recently lubricated.

With no further warning, about 6 months later, the inner cable pulled out of
the shaft behind the knob !

The factory instructions for dealing with this problem on a Stag are to
drill a hole in the inner fender and use a long rod to push on the latch.
Afterwards a rubber plug is installed in the hole.  Sure enough, my car has
the hole ... clearly not cut by the factory.  So this is not the first time
the cable has failed.

Rerouting and lubricating the cable seems to have cured the "hard pull"
problem.

Randall