RE: starter T/R 3A

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: starter T/R 3A
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:46:37 -0700
> List, has anyone had any problems using the =high torque
> starters= available
> for our cars, I'm experiencing a problem with it just spinning
> for some time
> and then engaging, sometimes it kicks right in and other times just spins,
> anyones experience good or bad appreciated.

The one I got from TRF worked just great in spite of the "rebuilt" tag on
the starter motor.

It's supposed to be a "pre-engaged" design, meaning the gears should mesh
before the starter begins to turn.  I'm not sure, but I think there is a
spring that allows the motor to turn even if the gears jam instead of
engaging.  I'd start by removing the starter, and inspecting the teeth on
both gears.

Also, are you sure you got the starter that matches your flywheel/ring gear
?  There are two different starters ... since I was converting to a later
style ring gear, I bought the "late" starter to go with it.  If memory
serves, the "early" starters have 9 teeth on the pinion, while the "late"
ones have 10.

Just out of curiosity, Fred, do you have the main terminal on the starter
powered all the time ?  Or powered by the original starter solenoid ?
Neither one is "wrong", I'm just curious.

Randall