RE: Hi milage Triumphs of all kinds!

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hi milage Triumphs of all kinds!
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:39:43 -0700
> Suggestions for gaining that type milage?
> (for example: paper element air filters)

Just to echo Andy's comment, read through the owner's manual.  There are
about a zillion little maintenance items in there that are frequently
overlooked.  The schedule is perhaps a little over-aggressive in some cases
(for modern lubricants), but that certainly won't hurt anything.

Not in the owner's manual, but a good idea IMO is to change the rod & main
bearings occasionally.  ISTR the Haynes manual recommends changing the rod
bearings every 30k.

I get frustrated and like to "improve" things that wear out often, which is
why my inner front suspension pivots are Nylatron instead of nylon and
rubber.  The lower ones also have grease zerks now.  Likewise, I installed
brass SilentBlocs from BFE in the steering linkage, with more zerks.

The O-rings sold by Moss for the carb jets are a vast improvement over the
cork.  The float bowl mounting gaskets still fail, though.  I contemplated
casting my own in polyurethane, but I'll probably switch to HS6 carbs
instead.

Randall