Clutch Thoughts

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Thoughts
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:34:38 -0400
Hi List,

  I have given some thought to my clutch situation and wanted to see
what others thought. When I purchased my TR6 it sometimes went into 1st
with just a little bit of resistance. That has now gotten to the point
where at times it wont go into gear at all, until the clutch is pumped
a number of times and then with great effort I can force it in. At
other times it will slide into any and all gears with no problem what
so ever. Only once, after crawling in stop and go traffic for 15
minutes did the clutch not disengage fully and that one time I had to
pump the clutch several times to get the gearbox into neutral.(and
avoid hitting the car in front of me.) Each and every other time I have
been able to disengage the clutch by pressing the clutch to the floor.
Recently the car has ground the reverse gear several times while I
tried to engage it. Since I have had the car the clutch will "catch"
very close to the floor. I have had no slipping of the clutch or reving
while in gear.

  The clutch MC has had a small leak which has necessitated topping off
of the fluid, probably about a half inch low about once a season(4
months). There is evidence of paint being removed in the footwell under
the clutch indicating a leak at some point. There is some, but not a
lot of fluid on the end of the clutch MC rod. The fluid in the clutch
MC is cloudy. I have a clutch MC rebuild kit and new slave cylinder on
order. I dont necessarily expect these repairs to fix the problem but I
have no idea of the age of these parts and would feel more comfortable
if they were attended to. Not to mention that if those components are
repaired then they can be eliminated as a source of the problem or
contributing to the problem.

  I am aware of the dreaded and frequent broken clutch fork pin and
suspect that might be the cause of my problem. But I would think that
if the clutch fork wasnt pulling the clutch back enough that the car
would have trouble disengaging when coming to a stop. Does this make
sense or, is it more likely that I am missing something?

 Aaron

 Aaron Cropley
 71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)
 http://www.triumphowners.com/108