Re: Sticky stick

To: BCrouter@cicorp.sk.ca, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sticky stick
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 16:35:52 EDT
In a message dated 9/8/2005 2:56:59 PM Central Standard Time,
BCrouter@cicorp.sk.ca writes:
> I have a 1975 TR6, over the past few years I have found that if I drive
> the car on long trips it gets intermittently harder to shift into first
> and second gear.  This week the problem has become very pronounced.  As
> this, and my old TR7, are the only standard transmission cars I have
> ever owned I don't know where to begin looking for the source of the
> problem.  Irrationally perhaps, I suspect the clutch.  I was hoping the
> wisdom and compassion of the list could help point me in the right
> direction, again.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

Have you tried double pumping the clutch and see if that changes anything.
If it fixes the problem then you need to check the thrust washers in the
engine.  If  there is too much float in the crank it will push the clutch slave
too
far back and require more pedal stroke than is available to close it back up.
It also means you may suffer thrust washer bearing failure before too long.

Try that test the next time it acts up and let us know.

Another thing to try is bleeding the clutch.

Dave