RE: Fraud (little LBC content)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fraud (little LBC content)
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:55:57 -0700
> I also went to the link provided in the Email (I know, not
> recommended.  But
> I know where the delete button is)

It's more than just knowing where the delete button is.  Internet Explorer
(standard Windows web browser) has been found to have many problems where a
malicious web site can harm your computer just from your looking at the
site.  M$ releases a new patch for it almost every month, but where there's
100 bugs, there's likely to be 101 bugs (cf Lubarsky's law).   I believe it
can also reveal your email address, leading to more spam.

Safest action of course is to use someone else's browser, like Mozilla.  I'm
sure it has flaws too and as it becomes popular there will be more malicious
sites exploiting them.  But at the moment, it's too small a target to be
worth attacking.

The scammers are getting smarter ... I've been getting a series of "notices"
purporting to be from my employer's mail system, but actually from some
place in Nigeria or India.

Randall