Re: Cooling System Pressure

To: Acekraut11@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cooling System Pressure
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:52:10 EDT
In a message dated 9/8/2005 4:38:28 PM Central Standard Time,
Acekraut11@aol.com writes:
> I am at or close to sea level.  Maybe it is time to replace the
> thermostat.  In this situation it is an inexpensive way to eliminate
> one potential problem.  Another thought might be that the temperature
> sending unit I have hooked up to the fan maybe coming on too late.  It
> was hard to find one at a lower temperature that would match the
> fitting I have.  I think it is designed to come on at 205 degrees.
> Someone mentioned that maybe the heater valve is sucking air and
> causing air in the system.  Thoughts on that?

I thought I saw thermostat on the list of items replaced.  Perhaps not.  205
is not high enough to cause the car to boil over, especially if you have an
antifreeze mixture.  Since the valve has leaked out, it could leak in.  Do you
have a coolant recovery bottle?  Does it draw back coolant when the car cools?
Over time, does the coolant in the recovery bottle increase?

Dave