Re: Cooling System Pressure

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cooling System Pressure
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 19:28:58 -0400
   You are not mistaken, you did see my post mention that the thermostat
had been replaced. Twice in fact. The first time for one that opened at
165 degrees since I thought I had an overheating problem that turned
out to be a voltage regulator problem. After I found out I was reading
the right temperature the car was running too cool so about a couple
years ago I put a new 185 degree thermostat in. My thought was that
with the thermostat and gasket I might be out $5 so it made sense to
try to see if this was the culprit or not.

  I do have an antifreeze mixture. I do have an overflow bottle. It is
perpetually empty. Either I have a leak in the bottom, which I dont
believe I have, or all of it is getting sucked in at some point. Others
have mentioned a leak in the head gasket. Maybe they are right. Or,
maybe I am losing more from the heater valve than I think.

  Does this sound possible? Coolant is full but the level drops because
some is leaving via the heater valve. At some point the level of the
coolant lowers enough so that the pressure builds up when it is hot and
vents out steam through the fill tube, exactly where the radiator cap
is supposed to vent. At this point the major steam event gets my
attention and I think I have a problem all of the sudden when in
reality it has been slowly building to this venting due to coolant loss
through the heater valve(hopefully) or a leak in the head gasket.(hope
not).

 Thoughts?

 Aaron

 Aaron Cropley