Cooling System Pressure

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cooling System Pressure
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:48:22 -0400
Hi List,

  I have an intermittent problem with excess pressure in my cooling
system. A couple times over the last few weeks the car has puked or
leaked coolant. One time the car looked like old faithful and was
shooting steam and coolant out of the radiator overflow bottle. Last
night the car did the same, although it wasn't nearly as bad, more
burping it out rather than shooting it out forcefully. A few times the
heater valve has leaked while opening, at other times it works fine
with no leaks. After waiting overnight for the engine to cool down this
morning when I got up I filled the radiator with about a quart of water
and squeezed the top radiator hose to help "burp" the system a little.
It seems that I might have some air trapped in the system. Might this
be the case or am I looking at some other problem? Everything in the
cooling system has been gone over with the exception of the engine
itself. The engine appears strong with no leaking of coolant or white
smoke while it is running. The radiator has been flushed in the past,
and the car has new hoses and thermostat(last year). The car does not
overheat. The cap is the "correct" one from TRF for my model year car.
I cant remember what pressure it is rated at but it does have a 7 on
top of the cap. I seem to recall that there was also a 4lb cap? Did
someone mention that they had switched to a 4lb cap and it had solved
there problem with heater valves leaking?

 All thoughts and ideas are welcome.

 Thanks,

 Aaron

 Aaron Cropley