Re: TR6 Gears Acting Funny

To: SCain@aecc.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Gears Acting Funny
From: Cameron Rooke <beaker211@rogers.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:52:08 -0400 (EDT)
I agree with Dave about the clutch not fully disengaging. Earlier this year my
clutch line failed leaving me with no clutch at all a few miles from home. I
was able to limp therest of the way by forcing the gears into place. I found
getting it into 1st was very difficult (surprise, surprise), 2nd was easier,
but still needed some oomph. No grinding of gears was audible. Reverse was
impossible to get into. 3rd and 4th went in real easy. I figure it all has to
do with engine speed vs. road speed and which gear you're going to/from. I seem
to have a smoother shifting ability going into 3rd and 4th generally speaking,
so I suppose this has something to do with it as well.

So, I had similar experience as you with a clutch that was definitley 100%
engaged (albeit on a GT6).

Cameron
'71 GT6

Dave1massey@cs.com wrote:
In a message dated 9/9/2005 9:23:09 AM Central Standard Time, SCain@aecc.com
writes:
> I drove my '71 TR6 around last night with no problems whatsoever. This
> morning when putting it in reverse it grinded pretty bad - almost as if
> I didn't have the clutch disengaged. Then I had a lot of trouble
> getting it into first and second. But, I didn't have a problem getting
> it into third and fourth. I drove most of the way to work in third and
> fourth - no OD.
>
> Regarding first and second, it's as if I simply can't find the slot to
> put the gear shifter in. There is no grinding associated with putting
> the car in first or second when I finally get it done. I noticed that
> with the engine off, I have absolutely no problem putting the car in any
> gear.

It sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging. Check the fluid in the
reservoir. If it is low you probably have air in the system and need to bleed
it. Also check the linkage on the pedal and the linkage on the transmission
for looseness.