Re: TR6 Gears Acting Funny

To: beaker211@rogers.com, SCain@aecc.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Gears Acting Funny
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 13:15:26 EDT
In a message dated 9/9/2005 11:57:06 AM Central Standard Time,
beaker211@rogers.com writes:
> Earlier this year my clutch line failed leaving me with no clutch at all a
> few miles from home. I was able to limp therest of the way by forcing the
> gears into place. I found getting it into 1st was very difficult (surprise,
> surprise), 2nd was easier, but still needed some oomph. No grinding of gears
>was
> audible. Reverse was impossible to get into. 3rd and 4th went in real easy.

There is a technique for shifting without using the clutch that presents
little or no danger to the transmission.  When shifting out of gear, lightly
press
the gas to unload the transmission and slide the lever out of gear.  For
shifting into gear blip the throttle and as the engine revs diminish press on
the
gear lever in the direction of the desired gear with the right amount of
force.  As the reves pass from too high to too low the speeds will be match
momentarily and the gear will engage.  It is tricky to determine the right
amount of
force.  Too much force and you overcome the synchro and clash gears.  Not
enough and the gear will not be engaged quickly enough to avoid clashing.  But
with a little practice you can get your car home.  Unless you come to a stop.
Then you have to stop the engine, select first and then restart.

Dave