Re: Sudden loss of power

To: wsteinman@pogolaw.com, owner-triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Sudden loss of power
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:15:34 EDT
In a message dated 9/12/2005 10:19:54 AM Central Standard Time,
wsteinman@pogolaw.com writes:
> I was zipping along in my TR250 in third gear enjoying a crisp morning
> and a drive through the park.  All of a sudden, the car lost a lot of
> power.  I slowed down and down-shifted into second gear, and continued
> to feel the loss of power.   I pushed the gas pedal and it didn't really
> help, and I was losing power on the road, so I pulled out the choke and
> she roared back to life.  I pulled over, let her idle a bit with the
> choke open, and then pushed the choke back and let her idle for a few
> minutes.  She tends to idle fast anyway (I know, I know -- I need to fix
> this.  I'm sure I'm fouling the plugs), so I took the time to crank the
> idle speed down while I waited and contemplated.

The fact that the symptom clear up when the choke was pulled is either a
coincidence of indicative of a fuel problem.  It could be vapour lock or it
might
be a premonition that your fuel pump diaghram is reacting adversely to the new
gas formulations.  My TR6 did this a few times and I found that working the
manual lever made the car resume good running behaviour.  If you haven't
rebuilt your fuel pump recently (like in the last 10 years) have a good look.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8