Fw: tr engine sitting long time

To: "list" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: tr engine sitting long time
From: "Randy Homanchuk" <rhomer@porchlight.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:40:22 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Randy Homanchuk
To: list
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 10:24 AM
Subject: tr engine sitting long time

List : I have a chance to purchase a supposed rebuilt 4 cylinder Tr engine for
my 1960 tr 3 and now long sitting around ,the engine numbers stamped on block
read ct5396e    if it totally orginally would that number  specify a 86 mm
tr4 bore engine?? ,maybe a 87mm tr4a ???if engine was rebuilt with large
amounts of assembly lube  and it still turns smooth and easly by hand? (spark
plugs out) I am looking for opinions on what time would have done to the stock
factory rear main seal  ie. the felt soaked in shellac and for that matter is
there not  more felt strips on rear main caps? also on the front caps
also??anything else I should be looking for? pull the valve cover ,examine for
dirt or rust? or just stay away from it and rebluid an old running orginal
thanks in advance Randy