RE: tr engine sitting long time

To: "Randy Homanchuk" <rhomer@porchlight.ca>,
Subject: RE: tr engine sitting long time
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:45:25 -0700
> List : I have a chance to purchase a supposed rebuilt 4 cylinder
> Tr engine for
> my 1960 tr 3 and now long sitting around ,the engine numbers
> stamped on block
> read ct5396e    if it totally orginally would that number  specify a 86 mm
> tr4 bore engine??

Most likely, although I believe TR4s were available by special order with 83
mm bores (and the engine number would not indicate that).

> ,maybe a 87mm tr4a ???

Might well have rebuilt with 87mm liners, but I don't believe the factory
used them.

> if engine was rebuilt with large
> amounts of assembly lube  and it still turns smooth and easly by
> hand?

Probably OK then, assuming you could start it turning by hand.

>  I am looking for opinions on what time would have done
> to the stock
> factory rear main seal  ie. the felt soaked in shellac

The felt soaked in shellac is not the rear seal, rather it's a gasket
between the rear main cap and the engine block.  Absolutely no reason it
shouldn't still be just fine.  The original rear seal is all metal and
likewise should be just fine assuming it was properly replaced and installed
during the rebuild.  They frequently aren't, tho ...

> also on the front caps

There's a block at the front that is sealed with cork smeared with shellac
... it likewise should be just fine if it was done properly when the engine
was rebuilt.

> also??anything else I should be looking for? pull the valve cover

Certainly wouldn't hurt.  While you're under there, slide one of the rockers
out of position and examine the shaft.  If you can see wear marks, it tells
you something about the quality of the rebuild.

>  or just stay away from it and rebluid an old running orginal

I'd certainly expect the price of the "long stored" rebuilt to be less than
the cost of buying new parts to do your own rebuild.

I assume you know that TR4 engines will not fit in TR3s, unless you
disassemble the front of the engine and swap out the front plate.  It's not
too big of a deal, but there is some work involved.  And of course you'll
need a TR3 front plate and some gaskets.

Randall