Starter diagnostics (long, sorry!)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Starter diagnostics (long, sorry!)
From: "Andrew Frink" <tr4@drooartz.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:17:25 -0600
The TR4 is currently refusing to start. I'm not quite sure where to begin the
diagnostics to
see what's up. Here's the history, and what I've done so far:

* A month ago, car started fine
* A few weeks ago, I noticed that while it would still start, sometimes if it
didn't catch right
away I would just hear a spinning sound (not turning the engine). Turn the key
off, and back
on again, and it would usually catch.
* Last week (during a parade no less) the car stalled and then wouldn't turn
over at all with
the key. Parade was on a hill, so a quick roll and clutch pop and all was well.
Won't start with
key at all now. Battery is at a little above 12volts after the 30 mile freeway
drive home from
the parade--seems to be where it stays most of the time.

I do get a loud click with the solenoid. Tried running a jump from battery to
starter--first
time I got a slow, small bit of engine movement. Removed/reinstalled starter,
now jump
doesn't give me anything, and the key makes a grinding sound.

Not sure where to try next. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Drew

--
Andrew Frink