Re: Starter diagnostics (long, sorry!)

To: "Andrew Frink" <tr4@drooartz.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter diagnostics (long, sorry!)
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@notwires.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:31:34 -0500
> The TR4 is currently refusing to start. I'm not quite sure where to begin
> the diagnostics to
> see what's up. Here's the history, and what I've done so far:

Start with the easy stuff, first.  I would check the battery ground cable -
often corrosion at the battery terminal or at the attachment to the frame
will cause the symptoms you have described.  Corrosion is indicated if you
see yellowish powder "growing" around the battery terminal.  Remove the
battery cable and give the terminal a good cleaning with a terminal brush.
A sound talking-to, threats and a good thrashing with a handy branch of a
tree (a la Basil Fawlty) will sometimes help, too.

Michael Marr
1960 TR3A
Naperville, IL