Re: Engine Support during Transmission Removal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Support during Transmission Removal
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:09:57 -0600
Jeffrey,

On the rear of the engine block on my 76 there is a bracket for
attaching a hoist.  What I did was to use a long 2x4 that rested on two
6" long 2x4s resting on the 2" side at the left and right side rails of
the car.  This was done to avoid contact with the fenders.  I drilled a
hole in the middle of the long 2x4 to accept a long threaded rod with a
hook at the end.  I put the threaded rod thru the 2x4 and then secured
it with a washer and a nut.  I looped a piece of chain thru the engine
bracket and tied it with a bolt then attached the chain to the hook. The
threaded rod allows some height adjustment, so you don't need to use a
jack.  There isnt that much weight to support back there sine the engine
is resting on the 2 motor mounts up front.  I think I used 3/8"
hardware, and I forget the chain thickness but it should be beefy.  If
you just have a chain you can also loop it thru the bracket and over the
top of the 2x4 but then you need to jack up the engine to the height you
want and then it will sag.

John Lumia - 1976 TR6

Jeffrey wrote:>

Has anyone out there devised a clever method of supporting the engine
while the gearbox is out that allows the car to be rolled around?  I was
thinking of some sort of 2x4 thing going across the two flat spots on
either side of the firewall and some webbing. Before I reinvent the
wheel, I figured I'd poll the collective wisdom of the list.