RE: Engine Support during Transmission Removal

To: "TR" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine Support during Transmission Removal
From: "David Hammond" <d_hammond@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:48:02 -0700
What I do in my TR4 is jack the car up a good foot in the air (whatever you
need to crawl underneath it) at all four corners, remove the seats, dash
support and front carpeting and transmission cover, unplug the solenoids for
the transmission from the wiring harness, disconnect the driveline from the
tranny, when loose, I push it back (it telescopes somewhat.  I place a jack
under the tranny bell and raise it just enough to where it could support the
transmission.  Disconnect the clutch and appendages connecting to the
tranny.  Then I remove the bolts holding the tranny to the tranny mount
(near where it is connected to the driveline).  Then I remove the starter
and all the bolts connecting the tranny to the engine.  You really need two
people for this method ... then have someone under the car support the
tranny, remove the jack .. the other person in the car lifts the tail up so
you can remove the tranny mount .. pull it back to disengage from the engine
and then lift it up and out through the interior.