Top Gear and female drivers

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Top Gear and female drivers
From: "Bob Rochlin" <r_rochlin@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:04:35 -0400
Hi All,
        I caught the TR6 segment last night and enjoyed it.  If anyone TiVo
ed it or taped it I'd be happy to pay the cost of coping to tape or DVD and
shipping to have a copy of the show.
        This summer my daughter and I  went to the British Car Lawn Day at
the Museum of Transportation near Boston.  There we met a lovely woman and
her well worn untouched, what I think, was an MGTD.  She had bought it new
and has had if for over 50 years. She really loved that car.  We got to
talking and she told us about meeting her ,now deceased, husband.  He loved
sports cars too and they had had many, but she never let go of that MG. When
she originally got it had a blower on it, but it has been off many years and
is sitting in her garage.  It was a pleasure taking to her about the sports
car scene in the 1950's and how, at that time, unusual it was for a woman to
have any of kind sports car and participate in the hobby.
        Before meeting that woman, and John MacCartney last spring, my
daughter didn't care much about  cars and certainly not much about the
hobby.  Since then she will willingly go to car events and  enjoys the cars
and the people.  She now seems to understand that not all gearheads are
boring and, as a matter of fact, are fun and approachable on a less
technical level.  Some, if pushed, can even speak intelligently of things
other than cars.
        Why didn't I catch on sooner...
Bob Rochlin
'72 TR6