RE: Battery Charge Time?

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Battery Charge Time?
From: "Joe Wilson" <jawilson40@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:41:31 -0400
I thought I might as well jump in since this is an area I work with almost
every day.  Smart chargers are not hard to find, but are generally more
expensive than the standard charger you will find at an auto parts store.
They usually have three stages - bulk, absorption, and float, and the good
ones also completely shut off if the battery is fully charged.  They also
have settings for lead-acid, gel cell and AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries
and have an equalization cycle that will knock the lead sulfate off the
plates of a lead-acid battery if the battery has not been used for a time.
You can get a 6 amp electronic smart charger for under $100 at one of the
marine stores like Boat/US, Boater's World, or West Marine.
BTW, I use an AGM battery for my TR3A.  Since it is completely sealed, I
have no worries about acid spillage.
Joe
58 TR3A

name of winmail.dat]