Suggestions on adjusting my piston ring gap

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Suggestions on adjusting my piston ring gap
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:33:17 -0400
Hello All,
I am at the point of adjusting the clearance of my piston rings for my TR4A.
I just installed the cylinder sleeves tonight and that well OK. I pushed a
#1 piston ring into one of the sleeves about an inch and squared it up with
a piston. As near as I can tell, there is no ring gap at all.
I was thinking of using a ignition points file to adjust the gap. I also
have a small square of safety glass that I can use to hold the ring flat
while dragging the file across the ends of the ring. Does that sound
reasonable or is there a better somewhere between my suggestion buying the
$60.00 Eastwood electric ring gap adjuster..
Thanks,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a