A little help??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: A little help??
From: TRsick@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:36:54 EDT
Hi All:
    I'm trying to help a fellow TR6 owner. He has a 74  TR6, we have been
chasing a rough running condition with no success.(He is  getting very
discouraged)
The car runs rough under load (idles nice), but gets smoother once past the
initial acceleration. We have done the following...
Carbs are adjusted well
New fuel filters
Valve lashe adjusted
New Coil (12V instead of the 6V with Ballast removed & 12v feed from  key
switch)
New spark plugs
New wires (Old ones tested fine)
New points, condensor, cap & rotor
We even tried another used Dist (seemed to make it better, but the rough
running came back the next day.
We think the condensors are failing. Tried the test in nthe Haynes manual
(with "key on open the points if a spark results = bad condensor"). All the
condensors we tried failed the test, so we are wondering
A: Is the car ruining the condensors?
B: If so, what would cause this?
Food for thought, we purchased a Pertronix ign. As soon as we tried to  start
the car the Pertronix smoked. (We did NOT have the unit wired wrong = red  to
pos side of the coil, black to Neg side of the coil. Pertronix is sending a
replacement, hoping we just got a bad unit????
    Any advise???
Bob Greene
_www.capecodbritishcarclub.org_ (http://www.capecodbritishcarclub.org)
_www.capecodpowdercoating.com_ (http://www.capecodpowdercoating.com)