RE: Suggestions on adjusting my piston ring gap

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Suggestions on adjusting my piston ring gap
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 23:25:13 -0700
> I am at the point of adjusting the clearance of my piston rings for my TR4A.
> I just installed the cylinder sleeves tonight and that well OK. I pushed a
> #1 piston ring into one of the sleeves about an inch and squared it up with
> a piston. As near as I can tell, there is no ring gap at all.

Some ring sets are supplied deliberately slightly oversize, so you can file the
gaps to fit.

> I was thinking of using a ignition points file to adjust the gap.

Modern rings are dang hard, and a points "file" is really a burnishing tool ...
I suspect it won't cut the ring material very well at all.  I used a Dremel
mototool and abrasive wheel to adjust my ring gaps.

> I also
> have a small square of safety glass that I can use to hold the ring flat
> while dragging the file across the ends of the ring. Does that sound
> reasonable

It's not rocket science ... sounds like overkill to me.  "By eye" is close
enough for keeping the ends flat and square.  Just get the gap right.  If you're
reinstalling used liners, be sure to check the gap near the bottom, since they
wear less there.

Randall