RE: Aaron Cropley's Clutch Survey-TR6

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Aaron Cropley's Clutch Survey-TR6
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:11:04 -0700
> Disclaimer:  No expert here and short on facts, but....

Likewise, definitely !

> LuK is a supplier to John Deere

I didn't know that, so it's not been a factor in my decisions (even though my
paycheck comes from the same place Joe's pension check does <g>)

> If I needed a Clutch Kit for my TR3A, which also includes the TR4, I would
> remanufacture.

I'll agree with that, with the proviso that I wouldn't have it rebuilt unless it
was definitely worn.  I've never managed to wear out an original TR2-4 style B&B
pressure plate, so until recently I just kept reusing the old one (and having
the friction plate relined every dog's age or so <g>)  I've been warned that the
old style PP can explode at sustained high rpm, but since my engine only pulls
to 5k or so, that's not an issue for me.  I've driven for hours at ~4500 and
never had a problem.

However, a few years ago I converted to an aluminum flywheel that came drilled
for the 4A-6 clutch.  Since the later clutch has less inertia anyway, I
converted the clutch as well.  Bought a NORS B&B TR6 pressure plate on eBay (the
one without the kinks in the fingers, like the original), and a Laycock-style
TR6 friction plate (don't recall for certain if it was made by Luk, but probably
so).  Standard TR6 TOB & carrier from TRF.  Paid moderate attention to
installing it, made sure the TOB carrier slid easily on the (shortened) front
cover and painted both the front cover and the input shaft with MoS2.  The
result worked very well for me : smooth, easy to control, and just a bit lighter
than my old clutch.  Didn't show any signs of wear from the 15-20k miles I drove
it before the car got wrecked ... never even adjusted the slave linkage.

I know it's not recommended to mix clutch components between B&B & Luk ... but
in my case I couldn't see any reason why not and those were the components I had
accumulated by the time I did the switch.  Seemed to work for me.  When the time
comes, I'll move the same setup to my "new" TR3, along with the "hot rod" motor
I've been planning to build for 20 years or so <g>

Randall