Re: The electrical education of Drew, or nonalternators

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The electrical education of Drew, or nonalternators
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 16:17:49 -0700
Andrew Frink wrote:

> I think I'm getting closer to believing that the alternator in my TR4
> is bad.... So I guess I'll have to go try another one, and see if I
> can get it modified like mine to fit in the car.

Drew -- do you have a particular need for an alternator on this car?  Or
is that just what was on it when you got it?  The simplest approach both
now and long-term may be to go back to the stock generator & voltage
regulator.  Dead easy to test, maintain, repair or replace and readily
available both new 'repro' and old stock.  Of course if you have or
anticipate current-hungry accessories such as driving lights, audio
equipment, etc then perhaps the alternator is the only way to go.

Geo Hahn