Hazard switch fun and games

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <owner-triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hazard switch fun and games
From: "Steinman, Bill" <wsteinman@pogolaw.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:54:39 -0400
Just had to relate the following story.  My TR250 came with a bad hazard
switch.  I wasn't eager to enlarge the hole in the backing plate for the
dash board, so I tracked down an original switch still in the box.  So,
I decide to tackle that project this weekend since I had to put off my
previously-mentioned PDWA project while I await parts.  So, I pull off
the dash, fight the old switch out of the wooden facia, and install the
37-year old NOS switch.  Once in, and connected (but before I got the
dash put together), I pushed the switch down.  I had hazard lights!  I
pushed the switch up. The turn signals worked!  At least that's how it
went for perhaps one minute.  I got the dash back in and as I was
installing the tach and spedo, I tried the switch once again.  No
hazards.  I checked the connections -- they were fine.  I pushed the
switch up, and the right turn signal came on, even when the turn signal
stalk was in the off position.  This lasted for about ten seconds, and
then tried the hazards again.  Nothing.  I pushed the switch off and
then the turn signals worked as normal.  So, I now have a NOS switch
installed that works in exactly the same defective manner as my old
switch.  The only advantage is that it looks better.  :o)

The lesson?  I should have realized that there would have been some
corosion or dust in the new switch, and should have done a bit of
maintenance on it per the yellow Electrical Maintenance Manual!  Guess
my enthusiasm got the better of me.

Enjoy!

NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have
received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit,
disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also, please indicate to the
sender that you have received this communication in error, and delete the copy
you received.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 Disclosure:  Under U.S. Treasury regulations, we are required
to inform you that any tax advice contained in this e-mail or any attachment
hereto is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, to avoid penalties
imposed under the Internal Revenue Code.

Thank you.

===     http://www.vtr.org