RE: Time to replace the generator

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Time to replace the generator
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:57:52 -0700
> You might consider another alternator, still a fairly common GM design but
> used on later model vehicles.  It's labeled as a CS130 and the body is tad
> bit smaller than the 10Si.

Thanks for the tip, Barry.

>  The main advantage of
> these alternators, beside the 70 or more amp output,

A quick web search turned up 3 different sizes, rated at 90 amps, 100 amps
and 105 amps.  I also found the comment that the CS130 is designed to put
out more current at idle than the earlier models, due to overdrive and some
engines that cruise as low as 1200-1500 rpm.

However the photos I saw didn't make it look that much smaller than the
10Si, and the mounting ears have the same 6-9/16" spacing, so I'll likely
continue looking for a smaller unit for my TR3.  Supposedly Lester numbers
7866 through 7937 have 6-1/8" mounting centers, and are part of the Delco
CSxxx series, but I don't know any more than that as yet (except the
drawings make the body look quite a bit smaller too).

> it won't bog the engine down with
> the immediate amp draw like the 10Si does.

Might be an issue with a Spit motor, but I've never noticed my TRactor motor
bogging in the slightest pulling the alternator even under heavy electrical
load.  Of course, even with high power headlights, electric radiator fan and
a high power stereo, my load still never goes over 45 amps or so, still less
than 1 hp.  At any rate it's not something I'm going to worry about.

>  Also, chances are it would come
> with a serpentine pulley, but the old 10Si pulley can be used since it has
> the same mounting configuration

Not all 10Si pulleys interchange, so I'd say this isn't a given.  Older
units had fractional-inch size shafts, while newer ones are metric.  Doesn't
really matter anyway, since no 10Si came with a pulley that will match the
belt on a TRactor motor.

> If your going to Triumphest, you'll see them on my cars -

I'll bring my tape measure, if I make it down there.  The Stag is giving me
a hard time at the moment, and if I can't drive it, I probably won't go.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org