RE: Time to replace the generator

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Time to replace the generator
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 06:10:15 -0700
Randall and others,
You might consider another alternator, still a fairly common GM design but
used on later model vehicles.  It's labeled as a CS130 and the body is tad
bit smaller than the 10Si.  It uses basically the same mounting, and wiring
connections (but uses a different connector).  These can be purchased at
your local Kragen, Pep Boys etc. auto parts store.  The main advantage of
these alternators, beside the 70 or more amp output, is that it charges
differently than the older 10Si.  It "senses" load and applies power
gradually, for example, if your running say an electric fan which will use
quite a bit of power when it kicks in, it won't bog the engine down with
the immediate amp draw like the 10Si does.  I have them on both my
Spitfires as well as my 40 Ford truck and love them.  If I were not leaving
the GT6 basically stock, it would have one too.  The drawbacks are finding
the specific model that uses the typical 10Si mounting instead of the kind
of 45 degree mounting ears that most of these models seem to use.
Unfortunately, I can't recall off hand which vehicles use the configuration
Triumphs need (its been a while since I got the ones I have), but if I can
find it I will post the specific vehicle.  Also, chances are it would come
with a serpentine pulley, but the old 10Si pulley can be used since it has
the same mounting configuration -  I think they look more at home on the
Triumphs, since they are about the same size as the Lucas unit.
Anybody need some old rebuilt 10Si units, I even have a chrome one :-)?
If your going to Triumphest, you'll see them on my cars -
*******************************

>> I can't seem to find any references on
>> exactly which alternator to buy, although I know there were some.
>>
>> If I do convert, which 3-wire alternator is the easiest to make fit?
>
>If anyone has a good answer to this, please post it to the list.  I
suspect most
>people did as I did, and used a full-size American alternator, like the GM
10Si.
>They're readily available and cheap, but don't fit all that well on a TR3
due to
>the larger diameter.  The later cars are roomier, but it's kind of tight
>quarters on a TR3.
>
>Now there are some smaller alternators commonly available, for example my 89
>Dodge Caravan had a Mitsubishi alternator that looked to be about the same
>diameter as the old Lucas C40 generator.  I know some of the racer supply
houses
>also sell a "mini" alternator, but they're kind of pricey.
>
>Before I'm buy another alternator, I'll probably spend some time at the local
>"pull yer own" junkyard, measuring alternators.  But if anyone else has
>information, I'd love to hear it.
>
>Randall

Barry Schwartz (San Diego)