Re: TR4A Chassis Parts

To: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>, "Triumphs"
Subject: Re: TR4A Chassis Parts
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 08:32:10 -0400
Dave, a few thoughts:
1. The TRF kit is an excellent way to go in order to rebuild the front
end............ recommend it.
2. For what it's worth I am still running my original rubber rack
mounts........39 years. They are still tight with no problems. Then again
it's the OEM Rubber compounds. I am very suspicious of the Compounding
coming from Taiwan. I'm in the business. I personally see no benefit running
the hard mounts and can actually make a case that you should not use them in
certain applications. The IRS unit is one where I'd never use the hard
mounts. My reason is simple, the rubber mounts absorb the shock of starts
and stops and gear changes and protect that shock from transmitting to the
frame where things are prone to breaking and cracking. The same may be true
for the steering rack mounts. Properly installed rubber mounts work just
fine.
For suspension attachments the competition folks use the hard mounts so as
to eliminate any suspension deflection due to the movement within the mount
in order to eliminate variations in geometry. A good reason but not needed
on a road car, you likely will not notice any difference in normal street
driving. I curse the day that I changed my trailing arm mounts to poly and
will change them back someday if I can be convinced that the rubber is any
good.
3. There are lots of folks running the Minilite replicas with a variety of
tire sizes from standard 165-15's up. A lot will depend upon the rim width.
If these are supplied in a wider rim you may want to consider a 205/R60-15
which is as close to the 165 diameter as you can get. No speedo problems!
They are best on 6" wide rims. I run Panasports with Bridgestone Potenza's
RE71's and very pleased with the performance. Great road performance and
what an incredible improvement over my wires and old Michelins.