Re: TR4A Chassis Parts

To: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Subject: Re: TR4A Chassis Parts
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 07:39:38 -0400
On Wednesday 05 October 2005 01:21 am, Dave Connitt wrote:
> Chassis Restoration questions for the list,
> I am getting close to finishing up my TR4A engine rebuild in spite of bad
> parts. The last major component to rebuild is the chassis and I have a few
> questions for you.
> 1. Has anybody had any experience with The Roadster Factory front
> suspension kits? Seems like a good deal right now.

Dave,

I used the TRF kit for my project TR4. All parts are top quality but I was
missing the bolts that secure the spring pan. I had to stop and clean the old
ones etc. Didnt bother calling TRF, it was easier just to clean up the old
ones. Overall very satisfied.

> 2. I am considering converting my steering rack mounts to solid aluminum
> but have heard some of the kits out there crack over a period of time.
> Would it be better to just go to Poly or some other material. From what I
> have heard, the stock rubber rack mounts should be a last choice. If I use
> Poly mounts, do I still have to preload the rack mounts and if so how is
> that done these days?

No experience here.

> 3. I am considering changing from the stock 60 spoke wire wheels to the
> Konig (minilite type) wheels. Did anybody ever buy a set of these? If so,
> what do you think of them and what size did you get?

I am planning to use the 60 spoke wheels but would like to replace the steel
wheels on the 3A with a minilite type. Waiting for funds to arrive!

> That is about it I think unless anybody has any other suggestions. I am
> planning on driving the car as much as possible weather permitting when it
> is done if that helps.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1963 TR4