TR4 Woes (continued)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Woes (continued)
From: "Tim I. Purdy" <timipurdy@citlink.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 21:44:28 -0700
My '64 is being a real pain.  As usual, I turn to this forum for your guidance
and will give a history of what has transpired, in hopes, someone will
recognize the problem.

Oct. 2004 - Was able to attend Triumphest at Lake Tahoe, it being nearly in my
backyard so to speak.  Brief as in arriving Friday afternoon and leaving
Saturday, but had company arriving from Montreal.  On my return from Tahoe,
parked the TR4 in the garage.  Two days later when I went to start it, it
would not, the problem was the electric fuel pump.  Replaced it with a regular
Moss fuel pump.  All was good.

July 2005 - all had been well.  Drove to Chester, 33 miles over a summit 1500
elevation climb.  TR remained parked all day at Chester.  Had to turn it over
twice to start, never had to do in the summer.  All went well driving, except
for deer.

July 2005 - Two days drove through Chester, down to Red Bluff and over to
Santa Rosa, some 160 miles or so.  No problems.  While there the TR remained
parked for three days.  On the fourth day, fired up fine and drove home, no
problems.

July 22nd - TR4 starts fine, leave Susanville to Reno, 85 miles, hot weather.
Arrive in Reno at 7:30 a.m. at  first stop light, TR stalls, but with Lucas
luck starts, and stalls and dies at next stop light.  Eight stop lights later,
make it to computer class.  There all day. Starts fine, temp 100, leave Reno,
no problem except for traffic.  First traffic light, is Susanville, 85 miles,
it stalls and dies, and difficult to re-start, contribute it to 100 degree
temps.

Since then it has never run right, and starting, if one can, has become a
nightmare.  Replaced spark plugs, new battery.  Fuel pressure okay.  Examine
the carbs and choke, the distributor and my underwear too!

Plan to do a compression check tomorrow and then follow Ed;s advice to tune
the carbs, seeking any and all in put

===     http://www.vtr.org