Re: '59TR3A hydraulic woes'59TR3A hydraulic woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '59TR3A hydraulic woes'59TR3A hydraulic woes
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 04:42:54 EDT
Hi Kevin,
   Here's a possibility. Many TR brake pipe fittings are not "flared" in the
usual sense. They are finished with what's sometimes called a "British
Bubble". This is really just "half a flare". If you have used the typical
flaring
tool, the instructions tell you to first use the small piece that fits into the
pipe to shape the end, and then to use a pointed piece to finalize the flare.
Try simply omitting the second step. That will leave a "bubble" on the end.  I
can't be certain a "bubble" was used on TR3 at the MC, but I know it is on TR4
MC, and at other female fittings in the brake circuit. Male fittings use a
true flare end on the pipe. It's a common mistake to fully flare those fittings
on TRs that call for a bubble instead, and they usually leak pretty badly.
   Another possibility is that the reservoir of the MC itself is porous and
weeping fluid. That sometimes happens with old castings. One solution I've
heard of, but have never tried, is to coat the inside of a carefully cleaned MC
reservoir with Glyptal. It might even seal up a hairline crack, but if it's
cracked it would probably be better to replace teh MC. If you are unfamiliar
with
Glyptal, it's used to seal the walls of the sump and oil passages in the
engine block, to promote oil flow, and also to coat and protect electrical
motor
windings. It's usually a semi-tranparent reddish color. I'm not certain I'm
spelling it correctly, but it's impervious to most automotive fluids. I'd
suggest
a careful cleanup of all the weeping brake fluid, especially checking under
the carpet on the floor. If not cleaned up quickly, brake fluid will remove
paint and promote rust (unless you are using DOT5).
   Alan Myers
   San Jose, Calif.
   '62 TR4 CT17692
I have weeping of hydraulic fluid from the back of the clutch M/C, where the
"S" curve line attaches. I'm guessing that the flare of the hydraulic line is
not wide enough to seat in the M/C, no matter how tightly it is cinched down.
Is my assumption correct, and do I need to find a tool to properly flare the
end of the hydraulic line to better match up w/ the M/C?

===     http://www.vtr.org