Spitfire electric tach

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire electric tach
From: "Rob Christopher \(robc\)" <robc@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:12:20 -0400
Hey everyone,

I've been helping a friend get his 77 spitfire roadworthy and we are at
the stage of getting the gauges sorted.  The speedo has a broken cable,
easy enough to fix.

The tach, though has me stumped.  It is an electric tach and when the
key is turned to the on position, it pegs itself all the way to the
right, past the red line, even though the engine is not running.  If I
remove the white/slate wire connected from the coil to it, it still
stays pegged.  The green wire has 12V or so on it so that is fine.  The
ground wire that should be under the thumb wheel on the back was
missing, but the case of the tach is grounded through the light socket's
black wire.  I used a DVM to check all of this.

So, anyone have any advice, other than it is just plain screwed and
needs to be replaced?

Rob
74.5 TR6  CF28217UO
Delving into the world of Spitfires for the first time....

===     http://www.vtr.org