Another Triumphest

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Another Triumphest
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 19:52:21 -0700
Well, another Triumphest has come and gone.  The weather this time around
was fantastic, if just a tad hot Thursday and Friday.  Hopefully that
wasn't part of the cause for a few water pump failures on Saturday, a TR3
on the rallye and another, a white early model Spitfire.  I hope the spare
water pump I brought later that night, and gave to Joe Curry to pass on to
him did some good.  I never got to see either of them Sunday morning to
find out.  There were plenty of cars to see though, of all the usual
suspects.  I was a little surprised that many of those that I know in Los
Angeles and surrounding areas didn't make it -  Too bad, but I also realize
that things happen.  I also hope that the really bad treatment by the Hotel
itself, and the Saturday night hotel dinner staff won't reflect upon the
San Diego club (and just for the record, I am not affiliated), which really
isn't their (or any club hosting an events) fault - I'll certainly be
writing to the Hotel to relay my displeasure, as I was one of the many that
got the wrong end of the dog at the dinner with no real attempt at
resolution, as well as the debacle trying to check in to ones room!  I
thought the Friday night hospitality party was great, with decent food, a
great setting, and even a live band to listen to.  A nice way to end the
evening -
Overall even with the above mentioned snafu's, I had a good time as usual.
I guess that because for myself, it's the great people and the cars that I
go for, and there were plenty of both.
My only complaint, this being of most Triumphests (and there may not be any
resolution because of the nature of the event) is that I would like to see
the rallye start when the vehicle judging is over.  That is, if the car
judging is to end at noon, then start the rallye at say 12:30.  I love to
be around to talk to those people that have questions or just to converse
about our cars, some which have traveled pretty substantial distances.  My
wife really enjoys the rallies, and I always feel rushed to get the car
ready to go before the last car to rallye is to be let out.  It then cuts
into the time that I can spend with the other folks that are there.  That's
my only real peeve - and a minor one at that.
I did miss the guys from Rimmer Bros. as they have been at many of the
Triumphests in the past, and it's always a pleasure to talk to them.  As
usual, Peter and Eric from Moss Motors and of course Charles Runyan from
The Roadster Factory were there.  As we all know, without people like them,
keeping these cars in the great shape that most of them were at the show
would not be possible, and it is great to discuss Triumph trivia (or
anything else) with them as well.  Overall a good event, with fantastic
weather in a beautiful setting on the bay with Triumphs all around - what
more could one want!

Barry Schwartz (San Diego)