RE: Gearbox Grief

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gearbox Grief
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:28:27 -0700
> My dilemma is this: My local gearbox guru who I was planning on
> having rebuild
> the OD gearbox is out of that business.

Really ?  Herman quit doing OD rebuilds ?  I've not seen him in awhile, but
I'm very surprised.  Usually he's just really backlogged.

> Cost:
> $1500 sans toyota gearbox.

Which even after you add the price of a used Toy box, is probably less than
a good rebuild will cost you.

> Plus, I'd have to find a used
> toyota gearbox without problems.

The junkyards are full of them.

> Dare I try to fix my OD gearbox myself?

It's certainly worth a shot ... can't be much worse than where you are now,
anyway.  Sounds like there might be a decent chance that your OD is OK and
it's just the layshaft in the gearbox that's gone south ... if so, it might
be worth looking for another gearbox and moving your OD to it (after a
suitable inspection of course).  Used non-OD 4-synchro boxes seem to be
plentiful and cheap.  I've got a few you could pick over, if you want.

> I have HEARD many of the gearbox parts carried
> by the big
> three are marginal at BEST.

It's definitely a problem.

> The rebuilder I spoke to won't touch
> the syncro
> rings they carry for example.

They do seem to have an unusually high rate of problems, but apparently some
of them are OK or else they work OK in some gearboxes.  Legend has it that
the US suppliers banded together and had a huge lot of rings manufactured to
specification.  Unfortunately, they used a later, factory approved
specification that doesn't work well in some of the earlier gearboxes.
AFAIK all attempts to identify the flaw or incompatibility beforehand have
failed, though, so it seems the only way to find out if they'll work is to
install them and see what happens.  Herman won't do that, he hates "come
backs".

> He either uses the dwindling supply
> of NOS parts
> or gets them from England.

You might try talking to BFE or British Pacific.  They may be bringing rings
over in bulk from the UK and be able to sell a bit cheaper than having them
shipped on your own.

> Anyone know of a reputable rebuilder?

I've heard good things about Quantum Mechanics, but Connecticut isn't a lot
closer than FL.

> Any thoughts? Words of encouragement? Has anyone successfully
> repaired their own gearbox?

I've been through various gearboxes several times.  Usually came out OK, but
the last one I did myself broke again in just a few years.  My own
stupidity, I think, I should know better than to try to reuse that circlip,
but I'd used all the new ones I had on hand and I wanted to go on a club run
the next day.

> Comments on the toyota gearbox conversion, good or bad?

There are quite a few of them around, so far everyone I know that has one
has loved it.  Of course, they are mostly comparing to no OD at all ...
personally I would  definitely NOT trade my 7-speed semi-automatic (A-type)
for a 5-speed manual.

> Know of a
> source for quality bearings and gearbox bits for old Brit
> gearboxes?

AFAIK, only the synchro rings are an issue from the "Big 2".  (VB is always
a crap shoot IMO.)

> Anybody
> want to swap a black plate California '62 TR4 with surrey top and 2 broken
> gearboxes for something interesting?

Sure, I'll trade you a Triumph Sports 6 with the original engine for it :^)
Even TR nuts have a tendency to say "What is THAT ?" when they see it.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org