Re: Gearbox Grief

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox Grief
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@wight365.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 00:02:46 +0100
Hi Jeffrey
No Way would I swap an O/D box for a 5 speed, you loose the ability to make
full power shifts for overtaking for one!
If your box was good other than the noise, as in slick changes up and down
through all the gears, before removal, then all I would suggest would be to
get a set of all the bearings in the box and overdrive, a set of gaskets and
a new laygear pin (the bit that the laygear cluster bearings run on and new
circlips, in particular the one that holds 3rd gear on to the mainshaft. I
would NOT change the synchros, I have had the same problem with new synchro
rings as you guys are experiencing and I would not try to adjust the end
float of any of the gears on the mainshaft, I would get new bushings if
there were signs of excess wear on them, unlikely unless the box is a high
(90-100+K) miler, or victim of neglect.

Graham.