Re: Laycock Overdrive Identification

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Laycock Overdrive Identification
From: David Welch <Publicus@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:57:11 -0700
A belated thank you to all who responded to this query.

 From the responses it would appear that my 1374 Laycock A-type is
actually a 61374 missing the leading '6'; it probably was from an early
Austin Healey (the part number on the adapter plate that came with it
would seem to indicate this) and is compatible with TR2 thru early TR4,
using a six spline O/D mainshaft.  The unit has larger pistons that
would allow it to accommodate torque generated by use in second and
third gear.

The compatibility may extend thru early TR6, as the mainshaft that came
with my 61753 TR6 overdrive fits it, and the adapter plates for the two
overdrives are the same thickness.  I don't know if there would be a
difference in torque requirements.

The only actual external differences that I could note between the 61374
and the 61753 was that the former has the identification plate on the
top, the drain plug is hexagonal, and the output drive flange has ears,
while the latter has the identification plate on the side, the drain
plug has six indentations around the circumference, and the drive flange
is round.

I will use it as a backup for my TR3A restoration, in case its overdrive
is shot.  In the interim, I need to check out the costs of having the
TR6 one disassembled and cleaned, as it has been exposed to a rather
dusty environment in my garage for about fifteen years.  Has anyone on
the list done this themselves and been happy about the result?

===     http://www.vtr.org