Re: Battery Testing - Consumer Reports

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Battery Testing - Consumer Reports
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:39:46 EDT
In a message dated 10/16/05 9:10:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org writes:

<< Consumer Reports just completed their battery tests and the top rated
batteries in every category are the "no names" >>

There are only a few name battery manufacturers but you can find their name
on many private label brands.

Johnson Controls, Exide, GNB and a few others have been buying up smaller
battery  makers and by now have probably bought each other up.  I suspect this
is
done to buy market share rather than to acquire assets because many batteries
are made in Mexico rather than deal with restrictive USA environmental laws.

I'd find it strange a private label would out perform the branded when they
are made by the same company.  Were there the tests done to battery industry
standards?

In any event, lead acid batteries don't perform to full capacity until they
have been run through a few discharge / charge cycles.  ( electric car people
are familiar with the break in period ) Who knows what the results would be in
the long term.

As Bob said " for what it's worth".  I tend to be suspicious of CR because
similar products from the same parent company have wildly differing results.  (
A Buick has a poor engine/transmission, brakes rating while the same car in a
Pontiac has excellent rating even though the parts are the same)

Harold

===     http://www.vtr.org