TR6 - aftermarket steering rack question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - aftermarket steering rack question
From: Greg <one_second_zero@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 07:32:02 -0700 (PDT)
I bought a new aftermarket steering rack for my 76 TR6 from Victoria British
(p/n 5-5947) which I plan to install soon as I am renewing all of the
suspension and brakes.  The new rack (made in Argentina) has a slightly
different filler plug assembly than the stock rack.  The stock rack had a small
bolt which threaded into a larger threaded plug.  The new rack has a larger
diameter filler plug with a recessed hex head in the filler plug.   On the
original rack, there was a wire (ground wire?) that was secured with a metal
ring terminal to the smaller original "bolt" filler plug on the rack.   The new
rack doesn't have this small bolt sized plug so the original ring terminal on
the wire will not attach to the new filler plug as the original one did.   Has
anyone else installed this type of aftermarket rack (quick ratio or standard
ratio) and if so, what solution did you use to secure the wire to the rack.
What is the purpose of the wire?  I thought perhaps it was simply a ground wire
 in which case, I can get more creative about securing it to the rack.

My other question regarding the new rack is, what type of oil or lubricant do
you recommend that I fill the new rack with?  I don't know if it came unfilled
or not.  I opened the drain plug but couldn't see any sign one way or the other
of oil in the rack, so I'm assuming its empty.

Thanks, Greg H
Denton, TX

===     http://www.vtr.org