Re: TR6 - aftermarket steering rack question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 - aftermarket steering rack question
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:31:01 EDT
Hi Greg,

Yes, that's a ground wire for the horn circuit. I'd suggest a trip to Radio
Shack (or similar) to get a larger ring terminal for the wire end. That would
be the easiest fix.

I use standard lithium grease in my TR4's steering rack, which is externally
different from yours, but functionally the same. TR6 owners manual and shop
manual specify this, too.

The filler plug you mention should be replaced with a zerk to allow four or
five shots of grease from a grease gun (probably more with a new, empty rack).
You might have to buy a different size zerk to fit the filler hole on that
particular rack, or get an adapter to reduce the size of the threads so that a
smaller zerk will fit.

I've heard of folks using 90w gear oil in racks, too. But, that's typically
only done when a rack is older and has a lot of dried up, crusty grease in it.

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L