automatic horn: TR4

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: automatic horn: TR4
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:40:14 -0600
My TR4 horn is honking at neighbors, folks in the grocery store parking
lot, and cars all around me. It's a lovely honk, but still. It happens
when I push the steering wheel forward, accidentally or on purpose. I
replaced the horn brush, then removed the new horn brush, and it still
honks. I don't see much that could be causing this -- except that there
are a couple millimeters of forward-and-back play in the steering column
which turns out to come from the lower steering column where the splined
column fits into the adaptor. I tried to tighten it but it doesn't want
to get tight enough to eliminate that play.

I don't think that play is normal, but I'm not sure it's really the
culprit in my horn festivities? Thoughts?

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2 etc.

===     http://www.vtr.org