Re: automatic horn: TR4

To: steven@newellboys.com
Subject: Re: automatic horn: TR4
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:28:24 EDT
On 10/18/05, Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com> wrote:
>My TR4 horn is honking at neighbors, folks in the grocery store parking
>lot, and cars all around me. It's a lovely honk, but still. It happens
>when I push the steering wheel forward, accidentally or on purpose. I
>replaced the horn brush, then removed the new horn brush, and it still
>honks. I don't see much that could be causing this -- except that there
>are a couple millimeters of forward-and-back play in the steering column
>which turns out to come from the lower steering column where the splined
>column fits into the adaptor. I tried to tighten it but it doesn't want
>to get tight enough to eliminate that play.
>
>I don't think that play is normal, but I'm not sure it's really the
>culprit in my horn festivities? Thoughts?

If the horn is beeping with the bush removed then I would look for a short
between the wheel and the slipring.  There is a wire attached to the slipring
that completes the circuit to the horn.  If it is shorted to the wheel and the
spline joint in the steering shaft is loose then the ground circuit (steering
shaft) is intermittent and when the spline joint does make contact the circuit
is complete and the horn honks.

The spline joint should make contact all the time and the slip ring should
not until the horn push is pressed.  So I see two problems here but fix the
short first and then attack the spline joint.  Doing it the other way round may
annoy the neighbors.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org