Re: automatic horn: TR4

To: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Subject: Re: automatic horn: TR4
From: Kurtis Jones <tr4driver@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 07:09:51 -0500
On 10/18/05, Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com> wrote:
> My TR4 horn is honking at neighbors, folks in the grocery store parking
> lot, and cars all around me. It's a lovely honk, but still. It happens
> when I push the steering wheel forward, accidentally or on purpose. I
> replaced the horn brush, then removed the new horn brush, and it still
> honks. I don't see much that could be causing this -- except that there
> are a couple millimeters of forward-and-back play in the steering column
> which turns out to come from the lower steering column where the splined
> column fits into the adaptor. I tried to tighten it but it doesn't want
> to get tight enough to eliminate that play.
>
> I don't think that play is normal, but I'm not sure it's really the
> culprit in my horn festivities? Thoughts?
>
> Steven Newell
> Littleton, CO USA
> '62 TR4 x 2 etc.

Gee Steven,  most guys would just be happy to have a horn that works
at all, and you're complaining about a horn that works too well??? ;)

The brush just completes the ground on the horn doesn't it?  I can't
remember how the push assembly is set up, but is there some way the
metal clip that holds the push in place is somehow closing the circuit
when the steering wheel is moved just right?

If it's any consolation, I'm having similar problems with the horn on
my Sprite... only it never goes off!  I haven't been able to track the
short down yet, but then it hasn't been a high priority, since it's
not currently on the road.  Apparently a previous owner had given up
on it, since an "axillary" horn button had been installed on the left
side of the dash.

--
Kurtis Jones
Russellville, Arkansas