RE: Nuts and Bolts

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Nuts and Bolts
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:16:14 -0700
> In class today we were talking about nuts and bolts and at break I
> went on-line and came up with this. Interesting.  Any engineers on
> the list want to comment?

Not my field, but it seems fairly accurate.  They left out measuring bolt
stretch as a means of measuring preload.  And I would argue that there is no
reason you can't preload a bolt where the joint isn't as stiff as the bolt
... it just makes it harder to use torque angle to measure the preload.  You
have to take the compression of the joint into account.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org