log distance battery driving

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: log distance battery driving
From: <tr3abobm77@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:14:09 -0500 (CDT)
Back in July of 1972 I intended to drive from Fort Wayne Indiana to Carlsbad
New Mexico to see the cave in my 1959 TR3A. Halfway between Tulsa and Oklahoma
City my generator quit (brushes wore down to nothing I later found out). I
immediately turned around and headed back to Fort Wayne. It got dark about 1
hour later and I had to turn on the lights. After another 1/2 hour I knew I was
in trouble as the lights were getting pretty dim. I found a gas station across
from a motel in Joplin Missouri and had them charge the battery while I spent
the night at the motel. Then next morning I left and made it to Fort Wayne
about supper time. 658 miles on one battery charge. I left the engine running
when I got gas one time because I didn't know if it would restart. The next day
I got in my 69 XKE and drove to Kitchner Ontario to visit a girlfriend so my
vacation wasn't a total loss.

Bob Maassel
1959 TR3A TS39869LO

===     http://www.vtr.org