RE: 1960 TR3 thermostat

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1960 TR3 thermostat
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:01:35 -0700
> Though I am
> puzzled about the people who use incorrect thermostats and either close
> off the bypass flow completely or do not restrict it at all.

Very simply put, I found no difference whatsoever in having the bypass
restricted or open.  Even the factory later deleted the sleeved thermostat.

IMO the main reason people see lower temp readings with the proper Smiths
thermostat is because it opens sooner than more modern designs, leading to (as
someone already noted) lack of proper warmup in cold weather.

After solving my overheating problem, which turned out to be a very inefficient
original radiator (presumably the tubes were no longer in good thermal contact
with the fins), I had no problems with overheating even in extreme weather, with
the bypass open.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org