Re: 74 TR6 Stuck Hood - Continued

To: GGanoung@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 74 TR6 Stuck Hood - Continued
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:01:14 EDT
In a message dated 10/24/2005 8:43:05 AM Central Standard Time,
gganoung@aol.com writes:
> Second, I pulled out the right side headlite assembly to try to get the
> hinge undone.  There are 2 bolts visible with nuts on each.  I was able to
> loosen the nut toward the rear of the car very easily, but managed to round
>the
> points of the nut in trying to get it off.  Could the nut be welded to the
> bracket or should it come off?

As I recall, those are, indeed, weldnuts (although on my car they are drilled
out and nutted (D#&* DPO)).  You might be able to reach the bolts by going up
through the lower radiator air inlets.  Does Streachman owe you any favours?

> Third, in looking up toward the hood from underneath, I was able to see 3 of
> the screws that hold the hood to the bracket.  In the Haynes manual it looks
> like there are 4, the 4th being on a slant which I cannot see from the
> bottom.  Any thoughts on this approach?

The fourth bolt is at an angle and inaccessible with the hood down.

> I have visions of my body man taking a saw to the hood to get it off.  Hope
> I don?t have to that route.  Anybody have any thoughts on my predicament?

Dan Masters took a 3 inch (more or less) hole saw and cut a round hole in the
footwell facing the latch.  Then he closed the hole with a rubber plug.  If
you drill a hole the same size as the jack hole in your floorboard you can use
one of those plugs.  Then, next time it happens all you have to do is pop the
plug out and there Bob's your uncle.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org