RE: problem with TR3 thermo remova

To: <harvoc@comcast.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: problem with TR3 thermo remova
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:13:59 -0700
> While trying to remove the thermostat, I discovered that the
> temperature guage
> capillary tube was "fused" to the housing.  I am not sure what kind
> of stuff was
> used to "cement" it into the housing,

Most likely, what you are seeing is galvanic corrosion between the brass of the
bulb and the aluminum of the housing.

> I could get the thermo out by leaving the tube attached, except that the
> housing,  stud bolts, and outlet cover are also fused together,
> requiring some
> bench work, and leaving at present the thermo inaccessible.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Based on my experiences, probably the sanest thing to do is to cut the capillary
tube, send the gauge out to Mo-Ma to be rebuilt (which will include a new
capillary tube and bulb), and start haunting eBay for a thermostat housing in
better condition than yours. I've seen TR3 housings in usable (not pretty)
condition go for under $20, but they usually need Helicoils and new studs.

If precise correctness is not important to you, you can use a TR4 housing and
they frequently sell for under $10.  (Think I paid under $8 for the last one I
bought, which looked very nice.)  I'm not certain offhand, but I think the TR3
bulb will fit a TR4 housing without an adaptor.  If not, early TR4 temp gauges
look identical to TR3 gauges, and are a lot more rugged ...

But of course you're welcome to try soaking things in PB Blaster or Aluminum
Naval Jelly and so on.  Can't use any heat of course, without ruining the
temperature gauge.  But after you decide to abandon the capillary tube, you can
drive out the bulb and start using heat to help loosen the Tstat cover.  If it's
that badly corroded though, I suspect you'll find there are places almost
corroded through.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org